Wednesday, January 24, 2018

From Mexico to NOLA

(I was in New Orleans from March 1st - 3rd, 2017 - I’m a bit behind on posting)
After arriving home from Mexico, I would only be home for a few days before leaving  for a much shorter trip to New Orleans.  My husband and I would be heading to the Evangelical Free Church's Southeast District Conference.
  I was particularly excited about this conference because it was hitting on so many things that are of interest to me - some of which tied right into Mexico (perhaps more on the conference later)...

And in a number of ways, Mexico came with me to New Orleans.  For one, I wore the Mexico shirt to carry on the message beyond Mexico.  And I'm so glad I did...


When we arrived at our hotel, a young man took our bags to our room.  He noticed the shirt, and we talked a bit.  He was from Brazil (he had come to New Orleans to help with construction after the devastation of Hurricane Katrina) so could read the Spanish as well as the English on the shirt (I went a bit out on a limb in asking him if he spoke Spanish- and then I held out an extra shirt I had with me for him to read).  He smiled.  And I told him a bit more on the backstory of the shirt.  He expressed that he liked the shirt, and then plainly asked (probably since he saw I had an extra):  "Can I have it?"  I wasn't expecting that - but was still pleased he asked and had no good reason to say no.  So, I said, "yes". And now one of the Mexico shirts is in New Orleans with a young man from Brazil.    Based on his enthusiasm about the shirt, I imagine the message will continue on in New Orleans long after my departure.  Makes me smile.

Didn’t want to go to NOLA without a trip to Cafe du Monde for some beignets and Cafe au lait.. and as you may be able to tell by the below pic... the beignets were pretty good...







No comments:

Post a Comment